Colan is a village and parish located three miles east of Newquay. The parish is home to Fir Hill Manor which forms part of the thousand acre Colan Woods Estate. The estate has been the subject of some intrigue since 1965 when it was inherited by a desititute Californian, now in his eighties, called John Paget Figg-Hoblyn. For reasons which are entirely shrouded in mystery, Figg-Hoblyn has consistently refused to sign papers allowing him to take possession of the estate, instead allowing it to crumble into disrepair.
The village is also home to Colan Church, which was built in 1250. The present church dates back to 1360.