The Lappa Valley Steam Railway is a narrow gauge railway which opened in 1849 as a mineral line from Newquay to East Wheal Rose and was reopened in 1974 as a tourist attraction
Lappa Valley Steam Railway is a narrow fifteen inch gauge railway which opened in 1849 to carry minerals between Newquay and East Wheal Rose. Later, it became part of the GWR Newquay to Chacewater branch line. The line closed in 1963 but, the following year, part of the line was re-opened as a narrow gauge railway. Two steam locomotives, “Muffin” and “Zebedee”, run from Benny Halt to East Wheal Rose, where there is a leisure complex with a children’s playground, and then further on to Newlyn Down’s Halt
The mile-long journey from Benny Halt runs through a beautiful Cornish valley to a small leisure park at East Wheal Rose. Two other miniature railways run from here: the 10¼ inch gauge climbs around half a mile further up the valley, and the 7¼ inch gauge follows travels a circuit of about 350 yards. There are canoes and pedaloes on the lovely boating lake in the leisure area, in addition to crazy golf, nature walks and various other amusements for children. There is also an old mine engine house and a dramatic video presentation telling its history. In addition, the wild flowers, ferns and trees provide a habitat for a large variety of birds, animals and insects.
Amenities on the site include a licensed coffee shop and a gift shop. The railway is close to St Newlyn East and is signed from all the main roads in the area. It is open from the beginning of April to the end of September each year.