Porkellis

Wendron Engine House
Wendron Engine House

Porkellis is a village located near Helston in the former mining parish of Carnmenellis, now part of Stithians.

Porkellis Moors were densely-populated during the Bronze Age and grew to prominence again in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries as a result of the prolific Basset and Grylls mine. Before mining activites ceased towards the end of the nineteenth century, Porkellis was home to a cinema, a shop, a pub, a Men's Institute and a coach builder.

Pokellis still has a primary school, a pub and the Anglican church of St Andrew's, built as a chapel-of-ease in 1881.