Smeaton's Pier in St Ives Harbour. Named after famed engineer John Smeaton, the pier was built between 1767 and 1770.
The Pier was extended by 300ft in the 1890s leaving it in the odd position of having two lighthouses. Where the original pier ended is the shorter, more ornate original lighthouse, which is also known as Smeaton's Lighthouse. A new 9 metre tall lighthouse was built at the end of the new extension.
Among the feature included in Smeaton’s Pier area reservoir at its base which fills up at high tide reducing wave action in the harbour along with the later addition of three arches near the base. These allow seawater to circulate preventing the build-up of sand.