Ruan Lanihorne straddles a leafy lane which was once the old coach road from Penzance to London. 'Ruan' refers to St Ruan or Rumon, patron saint of the local church which dates from 1321. It is built of local grey killas slate stone and is gothic in style.
In 1334 Edward III granted the Norman Lord - Johann l’Arcedekne a licence to fortify and crenellate his house at Lanyhorn. The completed castle comprised a round keep with seven recorded towers. The last tower was pulled down in Victorian times and the stone used for building leaving no visible remains.
The river here was once dredged and in the nineteenth century the silt was unloaded on quays to make bricks in a factory at Trelonk.
The once navigable creek here is now birdwatcher’s heaven as the silt provides a haven for waders and waterfowl. Fantastic countryside and amazing river vistas abound round here and many a lovely walk can be had in riverside and woodland between here and Tregony
A free house - The King's Head can be found in the centre of the village.