Situated in the pretty rural area between Hayle on the north coast and Mount's Bay, St Hilary is a small village with a school, a church and a campsite and little else. Neighbouring Goldsithney provides the local pubs and village store.
The surrounding countryside is ideal for unchallenging walks, for instance along the nearby St Erth river towards Hayle.
The church is dedicated to St Hilary of Poitiers and was rebuilt in 1853 after the previous one was destroyed in a fire. Its graveyard contains many elaborate tombs and the pulpit inside was decorated by one of the most famous Newlyn Artists, Ernest Procter.