Godrevy lighthouse near Hayle is the very lighthouse that Virginia Woolf referred to in her book, 'To the Lighthouse'.
The lighthouse was built in 1859 to warn shipping of a particularly treacherous reef in St Ives Bay. The Stones reef had been responsible for many wrecks but it was the 1854 wrecking of the steamer Nile with the loss of all aboard that spurred Trinity House into action.
The white tower is octagonal in section and is almost 100 feet (26 metres) tall. The actual light was relocated from the lighthouse to an adjacent rock in 2012.