Treffry Viaduct from Luxulyan Valley

Treffry Viaduct from Luxulyan Valley

Designed by Joseph Thomas Treffry and built between 1839 and 1842, the Treffry viaduct is a veritable work of art in granite that complements the naturally beautiful woodlands of Luxulyan Valley.

Standing at 90 feet high and 670 feet the 10 arched viaduct had two purposes; the first to carry the mineral tramway which ferried the produce from mines and china clay pits to the docks at Par; its other purpose was as an aqueduct carrying water to power the water wheel at Carmears in the valley below.

Photo: © Helen Hotson

Related images