This plaque, dated 1896, commemorates the extension and opening of the western end of Penzance promenade. This was the same date the pink concrete slabs were laid on the 'prom'.
The names on the plaque are of those responsible for commissioning and carrying out the work:
W.J. Bazeley - mayor
J. Caldwell - chairman
G.H. Small - engineer
A. Carkeek - contractor