Wendron is a village and parish stretching north-east from the town of Helston, which was part of it until 1845. Originally called Gwendron, the parish forms part of the Cornwall and West Devon Mining Landscape World Heritage Site.
The Wendron mining district has one of the longest histories of tin working of any district in Cornwall. Underground tin mining was well advanced by the 1580s, when the most important mines were listed as Roselidden and Porkellis. The number of recorded mining ventures in Wendron stands at 640. In 1779 Wendron parish was the most populated mining district with 9,000 inhabitants, more than double that of the combined population of Camborne, Redruth and Illogan. The cessation of mining activities towards the end of the nineteenth century led to mass poverty and unemployment. In 1878 local landowner, Lord Robartes, tried to ease the situation by bringing uncultivated land into production.
Poldark Mine is Wendron's mining legacy. The site has been run as a tourist attraction for over 30 years offering guided tours of the mine's underground workings. There is also extensive information on the region's mining heritage including a museum.
Very little is known about the saint who gave her name to the church and parish.