Overlooking the quayside in West Looe is the church of St Nicholas. It isn't instantly recognisable as a church, bearing more of a resemblance to a town hall. It was actually used as a guildhall for a long time before becoming a schoolroom and also a court room. It was only in 1852 that the church was returned to its original function. The origins of the church date back as far as the 14th century.