The curved slate and granite pier in the small beachside hamlet of Polkerris. Built in around 1750, by Jonathan Rashleigh, the pier would have afforded the local pilchard fishing boats some shelter. Up until the end of the 19th century Porkellis was home to a large fleet of seiners that would have been parked up on the beach. Things are much quieter now-a-days.
Note the canons embedded muzzle first towards the end of the pier