Humphry Davy - Apprentice surgeon apothocary

Humphry Davy - Apprentice surgeon apothocary

This painted window display commemorates the site where a young Humphry Davy was apprenticed as a surgeon apothocary to a Bingham Borlase in 1794. The shop is located on New Street, just off the town's main shopping street, Market Jew Street.

Davy went on to become Penzance's most famous son as a chemist and inventor. Whilst locally is best known for inventing the miner's lamp, which saved countless lives, he also discovered several elements.

Related images