The Crowns Engine Houses on the cliffs of Botallack near St Just. These engine houses were home to the steam engines for the mines which ran out under the sea floor from here. The lower engine house was built in 1835 and housed the pump to keep water out of the mine. The other building was added in 1862 to power a lift to the Boscawen shaft. This lift was actually ridden by the Prince and Princess of Wales in 1865 as part of a royal visit. Two years later the chain snapped with the loss of nine lives.