Carn Galva mine at dusk

Click on photo to see full resolution

The broken old engine house at Garn Galva near Zennor. This is one of the most recognisable features along the B3306 St Ives - St Just coast road.

The mine was named after the nearby hilltop of Carn Galva, which roughly translates as 'rockpile at the lookout place'. There are two engine houses here - one was used to pump the water out of the mine and the other to crush the extracted ore. These ran for around 20 years until the mine closed in 1878.

Carn Galva is a really atmospheric spot, especially as the sun goes down or later...

Related images