Brunel's Viaduct, Port Eliot

Brunel's Viaduct, Port Eliot

The Viaduct

This is a nine arch Romanesque viaduct designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel for The Great Western Railway in 1864. It is still part of the present line that connects London to Penzance. When the land was sold to the GWR one of the conditions imposed by the estate was that a station should be built for the village and Lord St Germans would have the right to stop any train. This very helpful perk ended with the nationalisation of the railways in 1947.

Related images