Moorswater

Moorswater, on the outskirts of Liskeard in mid-Cornwall, is perhaps best-known as the former hub of two railway lines, the Liskeard and Caradon railway and the Liskeard and Looe railway.

The Liskeard and Caradon railway opened in 1844 to transport goods from quarries on the moors north of Liskeard to the Liskeard and Looe Union Canal, which would then take them to the sea for export. The canal was replaced by the Liskeard and Looe railway in 1860 and passengers were able to take the train from Moorswater to Looe from 1879. In 1901 the railway was diverted from Moorswater to the larger town of Liskeard and passengers could no longer travel from Moorswater, although goods have passed through the station from time to time ever since.

Moorswater is now for all intents and purposes a westward extension of Liskeard.

Things to do nearby

Accommodation