Bird hospital and sanctuary for sick and injured birds
The hospital was founded in 1928 by sisters Dorothy and Phyllis Yglesias. It became famous following the Torrey Canyon oil tanker disaster off the west Cornish coast. Over 8,000 oiled seabirds passed through the Hospital as a result.
The RSPCA took over the task of running the hospital in 1953, but in 1975 ceased the funding owing to financial difficulties. Nowadays the sanctuary is funded by public donations and is a registered charity. The hospital currently takes in around 1,500 birds a year. Most of these are seabirds