select view »

Accommodation in and around Penryn

About Penryn more

The Borough of Penryn was enfranchised by the Bishop of Exeter in 1236 and in 1259 Henry III granted a weekly market in the town. Around the same time, Penryn was granted a Charter Fair to be held yearly on the Feast of St. Thomas the Martyr (after whom a street in the town is named). Six years later, the Collegiate Church of Glasney was founded, where the Antron River enters the Penryn Creek. It was built with stone from Caen in France. In 1312, another annual fair was granted by Edward II for the three days beginning with that of Saint Vitalis the Martyr. Soon the small town had become a busy port and half the population of Penryn consisted of foreigners. There were 22 substantial merchants recorded as paying the subsidy, compared with 33 at Helston…...

back to top